She left 18 months ago and moved across the world to Hong Kong to become a teacher. Mandy Barton is living the dream, so we decided to find out a little more about her exciting life.
Where do you currently live?
On Hong Kong Island which is in the tropics and is currently hot and humid! I've been working here as a teacher for 18 months in an English International School. I teach Maths and am a Head of Year.
What inspired your move?
I decided to leave the UK to experience new cultures and have fun and challenging experiences. My first move away was to Rome in Italy and learning the language was a huge draw for me. Moving to Hong Kong is also a great base to explore all of Asia.
How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style is colourful - I love bright colours and fun patterns.
What is the most interesting thing about you?
The most interesting this about me is that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, and hopefully I never will.
Five things we ask everyone:
- Describe your travel style in three words... Carefree, street-food, adventure!
- What is the one item in your wardrobe you always take with you when you travel?
Apart from prescription sunglasses which I never go anywhere without, it's gotta be a comfy pair of jeans.
- What was your worst holiday disaster?
I flew to Berlin for Valentine’s Day and my luggage was lost on the way. For our romantic meal out that night I was wearing the same clothes I'd been wearing on the plane and no make-up.
- What are your top three travel bag essentials?
- 1. Solait 50SPF face fluid; it's moisturiser, foundation and sunblock all rolled into one. Melatonin, for helping me beat jet-lag when crossing lots of time zones. 3. Cotton buds; I know I shouldn't but I am obsessed with putting them in my ears!
- What is your dream travel destination?
My dream travel destination changes every few months! The last place I went was incredible... Boracay in the Philippines....it's the perfect mix of relaxation, beautiful beaches and scenery, but lots of fun activities too. I'm also really looking forward to my trip to Burma in a few months when I'll be going hot-air ballooning over the city of Bagan.
- Check in or carry on? Carry on
- Luxury hotel or beach hut? Beach Hut
- Ibiza or Nepal? Nepal
- Hammock or four poster? Hammock
- Sun or snow? Sun
- Mountains or beach? Beach
- City break or country retreat? Country Retreat
- Reading or riding? Reading
- Long haul or short haul? Short Haul
- Relaxation or adventure? Adventure
- 11. Flip flops or flippers? Flip flops