Tori Evans is a really old friend of mine, we met through a mutual acquaintance and quickly bonded over our shared love of travel and rock climbing. We spent a month in Thailand doing every activity on offer; cookery classes, elephant riding, tiger stroking, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, cocktail drinking, ping-pong show viewing! Tori has since lived in various cities including Amsterdam, Brisbane and she is now settling in Northland, New Zealand.
- What are you doing in New Zealand?
I’m an international student studying nursing and will hopefully get residency after I graduate. I spend heaps of time volunteering for victim support (helping people who have experienced trauma, sort of emotional first aid) Also work in a shop, pretty cool, I met the owner because she sells my skirts, it's an art and design store with a NZ focus, very chilled out.
Find out more about Tori's skirts here: https://www.facebook.com/yipyipdesigns?fref=ts
- Where are you from?
England. I’ve lived all over the south, no particular place stands out as home.
- When and why did you decide to move away from home?
During the recession in 2010, I felt like things weren't really going anywhere and it was time for a change.
- Will you ever go home?
Hopefully not permanently only to visit family and friends. I certainly don’t consider it home anymore.
Five things we ask everyone:
- Describe your travel style in three words... adventure, ‘roughing it’ and light (luggage).
- What is the one item in your wardrobe you always take with you when you travel?
My hiking boots.
- What was your worst holiday disaster?
Realising that what I thought was an 11 hour stop over was actually a 23 hour stop over. We had to stay in a terrible hotel and thought we’d been kidnapped by the driver that took us from the airport to the hotel. I organised most of the travel arrangements and felt terrible about my mistake (sorry again about that guys).
- What are your top three travel bag essentials?
Toothbrush, clean undies and comfy shoes.
- What is your dream travel destination?
I’m already there but I’d love to go to Canada.
Check in or carry on? Carry on.
2. Luxury hotel or beach hut? Beach hut.
3. Ibiza or Nepal? Nepal.
4. Hammock or four poster? Hammock.
5. Sun or snow? Snow.
6. Mountains or beach? Mountains.
7. City break or country retreat? Country retreat.
8. Reading or riding? Riding.
9. Long haul or short haul? Long haul.
10. Relaxation or adventure? Adventure.
11. Flip flops or flippers? Flip flops.